Monday, July 20, 2009
fungus in the kitchen
Usually we just stick to growing mold on our bread, but lately we've had more fungi growing in the kitchen, in the form of shitake mushrooms. My brother sent us a mushroom log for my birthday. It came in a kit with a sponge and a plastic sheath for maintaining enough humidity (like we need help with that in Florida!). You basically just soak the log in water and then put it in indirect sunlight and let it do its thing. It has been so exciting to watch them grow. They seem bigger after just a few hours, and overnight they have huge growth spurts.
On Saturday we 'harvested' these (3 about 4" in diameter) and ate them in padt thai. I love mushrooms, but rarely buy anything but the bland white ones because of price. I sure do miss the little mushrooms we ate in Japan. I guess they were enokis?
With all the rain we've had lately, we've been cultivating a few other varieties in the yard. Too bad we can't eat those!